It has taken me some time and study to craft these 5 stages. I believe that these stages are a roadmap to the life God has called all of us to and is the promise of the New Covenant. The base scriptures for these stages of awakening are Hebrews 8:8-13: "For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away." (KJV) (emphasis mine)
The 5 Spiritual Stages of Awakening are as follows, with a brief description of the stage:
1. Awakening to and answering the call of Salvation - God knocks on the door of the person's heart, and the person truly answers.
2. Awakening of the spirit of a person to the Kingdom of God - This is the spiritual rebirth and discovery phase.
3. Awakening and renewal of the intellect to the Kingdom of God - The redeemed person begins to learn and adapt the ways of God.
4. Awakening and renewal of the heart to the Kingdom of God - The redeemed person begins to yield their will and emotions to God and He begins to heal past and present wounds
5. Awakening of the soul towards the purposes of God - The redeemed person begins to discover their purpose(s) from God in life and begins to walk that out
These stages are all about us as people awakening to the Spirit of God within each of us. Therefore, each person will go about this process of awakening a bit differently. Awakening to the call of salvation is a prerequisite to the rest, but the rest of the stages may happen in any order. It depends on the way God has created each person. Some people are more intellectual than others for example, so they may have their intellect awakened first. These stages are designed to be a roadmap for the believer because, if we don't know what has been awakened in us, how can we know where God wants to take us next in the process? This awakening is the covenant that God has provided for all of us, and it is time that we as the body of Christ wake up and go where the Lord is calling us to.
I am not advocating that this is the only way, or THE way that God operates. It is only a guide to help the reader to determine which category/stage you may be in, and a signpost to where you may want to go.
Feel free to leave comments below.